Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sunshine and Rain

"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others 
cannot keep it from themselves." 
~James Matthew Barrie


Do you have those people in your life that just make you smile for no reason other then a silly phone call or a post on FB? I know I do. I have those people in my life I look forward to interacting with on a daily basis. Some I wish I could talk to for hours and it is hard to say goodbye. Yesterday I needed one of those moments and somewhere out of the blue there it was, my phone call. It was a rainy, dreary day and it fit my underneath mood. I wasn't in a bad mood just sad underneath my smile. Hannah came home yesterday morning because she had school today. The teen social calendar, however, outweighed Mom. I didn't see her until almost 9 last night. 


I knew I had to stay busy. I knew I couldn't just go home and go to bed like I wanted just because it was cold. Instead I took myself for a pedicure and some eyebrow maintenance. I love my red toes. They make me smile. That makes me feel better after a strange day where I'm in one of those moods. When I finished with the toes I took myself to dinner. It seemed like the perfect soup and sandwich kind of night so off it was to McAlisters. It was busy for a Monday night. I found a spot and played video games with myself while I people watched waiting for my food to be delivered. There was a dad and his daughters with their iPhones. They were interacting and playing Words with Friends with each other at the same time. It was fun to see them laughing and smiling. It brought so many memories back of family time. 


As I sat there the cutest little old couple came in. She could barely walk. It made me remember all the times Scott would stop to help an older person. It was just ingrained in his being. I wanted to jump up so badly and help her to the restroom. Her husband stood and waited for her to return. When she did he helped her sit before he sat. I love seeing those wonderful gestures of long love. The woman saw me sitting alone and as I walked out she gave me the kindest smile. Sad but heartwarming. She touched my heart with that small gesture.


I drove home slowly hoping H would text to say it was time to pick her up when the radio got busy. I got so many messages out of the blue. I got home to the driveway and sat. I just sat listening to the music and the rain. I wasn't crying uncontrollably sad. It was a peaceful place to be. I know I have a purpose and a place to be. I like to think that same person who cheers me up with a phone call needs me too. I like to believe the people I look forward to chatting with each evening on FB need me too. I hope that as I write I am helping someone else find a better place in their life. I want to share the sunshine I have been given. 



No comments:

Post a Comment