Sunday, July 3, 2011

Vistas and Views

This trip has been one awe inspiring moment after another. Yesterday we cruised into the bay where Hubbard Glacier resides. We were treated to sights and sounds of the glacier caving. When we pulled in the captain came over the loud speaker and announced the two days prior there was no ice floating in the bay. He turned us to the port side and we spent two hours watching mostly in silence from my balcony. Sometimes we would be told to yell out while Captain Claus blew the horn. Right after the last one a piece of the glacier fell. It was about 7 stories tall at least. As we left he announced in all his years we were very lucky to see one that large.

Now we have arrived in Juneau. This is a very small place only accessible by boat or seaplane. Hannah and I are currently sitting on top of Mt Roberts eating lunch. Crab cakes and dungeness crab with another spectacular view. I wonder if I lived here if the views would just be old hat. This trip has proven to me that I have a ways to go but I have come so far. Last night in the dining room all dressed to the nines a Willie Nelson musax version was playing overhead. Scott's here with me in spirit.

And on another note my beautiful 15 year old draws a lot of attention. I'm glad she doesn't notice or she would be super self conscious. Last night we were doing group family photos and the photographers kept singling her out for individual photos. I'm so excited for more of this trip. Tomorrow we sail to Skagway and board the steam train for a ride into the Yukon. Each day has been amazing. Today isn't over yet we will be boarding our private whale watching tour just for this family. And shock and aw I hiked on Mt Roberts today. Nature girl maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment