Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Priceless

I'm so very tired of life again. My head is pounding and I really don't need stupidity and stress but it is everywhere on days that I need to be calm and quiet.

I don't get how education is all about winning a competition instead of teaching students to succeed without segregating them into a losers group. I'm trying not to dwell but I'm very upset and irritated. Just because a "long history" of this doesn't mean it is acceptable. It is okay to change the direction and still win a competition. It will be fixed. I'm not okay with this and I can't believe OTHERS find this practice acceptable!!! I'm appalled to consider these people part of the community and let this practice continue! Tonight a very dear friend said to me the band should be just as her band director in a large school in Texas said to them way back when.... "You are only as good as your weakest link. If you see someone struggling then you need to be out there helping them along!" I agree and will fight that for not just Hannah but the other kids who deserve to participate.

I don't need more to stress about but here we go. Life is to short to be about winning a stinking competition but giving kids a chance to learn and grown and make amazing memories as a team is something they can take with them forever. I feel the need to shout from my soapbox at the world. Stop and smell the flowers, enjoy the scent of the rain and marvel at the sight of a rainbow! Those things make life a bit better for each of us. Take the time to love and rejoice in life. Give a gift to someone and expect nothing in return. Hold someones hand, teach a child, hug an older person! Do things that aren't measured with money but give a meaning that is priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment